Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Book Review- The Fiddler

If you know me well, you know I enjoy reading for pleasure.  My idea of a relaxing day or evening would be one where I am curled up with a good book.  So, when I saw the opportunity to review a book for Bethany House Publishers I jumped at the chance.  I received a copy of The Fiddler by Beverly Lewis in the mail.  I could hardly wait till the kids were in bed so that I could begin reading.


As my daughter says, "mom, the only books you read are about Amish people!" I do read other types of books, but I will say she is correct in that I am fascinated by Amish living. I have read numerous books by Beverly Lewis and I was not disappointed in this book. In our fast paced world where the pressures can come from every side, I found the book extremely interesting as it dealt with Amelia (the main character) wanting to slow down and enjoy life. As her life collides with that have a young Amish man, it is interesting to watch them both struggle with their identities and also the conflict of wanting to please their families. I did not find the book predictable although I was extremely pleased with the ending. Beverly Lewis once again came through with a wonderfully written story.

I think because my life is so crazy and completely opposite of the Amish that is why I am drawn to them.  Wouldn't it be cool to live in the middle of no where on a farm, with no Internet, no distractions, no phones, but then I wake up and realize just how blessed I am with the life God has so graciously allowed me to live.  So, I will enjoy dreaming about what life could be like if I were Amish as I loose myself in a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment