Friday, April 13, 2012

Our day in Court!


We have a court date~ April 25th~ Leo will officially become Leo Moses Shafer! The last time I talked to our lawyer he said it would be at least another 8-10 before we even heard anything. We are so thankful for a fast date.



Time for some random thoughts.... Tonight I am home with the 3 youngest. We are having a movie and ice cream night. Last night, we decided that Jeremy would take the oldest 3 to the drive-in movie theater. Jonathan and Ben were actually excited to stay home and have control of the TV remote. It is good for the older 3 to get away with dad and have some time together.

Lately, I have been trying to figure out our family and how we can best function. I have had these rumblings in my brain for awhile, but I listened to a talk sent to me by a Pastor's wife/ homeschooling mom whose daughter has special needs. This talk put into words so much of what I have been thinking/feeling lately. She talked about finding her mission and that it was OK that her mission wasn't like all the other mom's. She talked about how her family functions differently then most out of necessity. And that is OK.

We are a family or 8, we homeschool, we have 2 children with special needs, one severe, we have a 13 year old all the way down to an almost 2 year old, who functions on the level of an infant in so many ways. So, why do I attempt to model our family life after those around us? We are different! And I am learning that is OK. There will be times when we tag team family events like tonight and that is great. It is so easy to get caught up in the comparison game. To think- I should be serving more, I should be doing more, my kids should be doing such and such, goes against the idea that God has called me for a special mission. For this season in life, there are times we go into survival mode- like this past week. There are times, for us to do things - all of us together and there will be times when we divide and conquer. I am still trying to figure out- how my mission of caring for my 6 children - translates into daily living, but I guess the first step is accepting that my mission will look like no one elses. And that is OK.
On Wednesday, we met with the genetics doctor. We now have the full scope on Wolf-hirschhorn syndrome. That is a post for another day, we are still digesting a lot of what was said.

1 comment:

  1. So beautifully said. You don't have to be any more or any less than what you are. And raising children - several of them - with various "things" ... Is a mission. One you are doing well. xo

    ReplyDelete