Monday, October 3, 2011

Never got the memo


I don't think God received the memo where I decided at a young age that I had no desire whatsoever to go into the medical field. My strengths are NOT science and math. I am in awe of medical technology, but really have no desire to completely understand how the heart works or how to place an NG tube.


So, I just found myself laughing in the cardiologists office today as he was telling me they were going to teach me how to take and keep track of Leo's pulse. Fortunately (for me), Leo is too chubby and the doctor had difficulty finding his pulse on his little chubby wrist and declared if he had trouble then I would not be able to do it accurately. I readily agreed thinking I was off the hook. No, instead of learning how to accurately take a pules, I learned how to work a heart monitor! Leo will be attached to the monitor for 24 hours. I just have to write down every time he changes activities in a log and when it shuts itself off in 24 hours I have to remember to fed ex it back to the doctor.

Why a heart monitor?- Leo has a high heart rate. We are trying to figure out if it is high all the time or just in the presence of doctors. I also learned that he has a slight hole in his heart that should have closed by now but hasn't. We will go back in a year to revisit the hole and if it has not closed we will talk surgery at that time. I now understand how the heart should work and how Leo's is working as I received a mini science lesson during our appointment. I almost asked if I could bring in a group of home school kids for this lesson but decided against it.

I have decided that by the time Leo is twenty I will have an honorary medical degree or at the very least enough knowledge to pass the test to get into medical school.




No comments:

Post a Comment